The Nip and Growler may be new to the town but its High Street site goes back a long long way.
The first records are from the 14th century for The Bull Inn, Lynn’s oldest recorded pub.
Many thanks to Paul Richards for his hard work in uncovering the very interesting story of 68 High Street, King’s Lynn.
And even more information below this time from from Norfolk Pubs www.norfolkpubs.co.uk
Their archive is based upon Licence Records, Newspaper articles, Business Records, Sale & Auction documents and Directories.
The BULL in 1450
The BLACK BULL in 1777 & 1791
The EARL OF DERBY by 1870
Given as the BEACONSFIELD RESTAURANT, Swain & Co. 1879
As the BEACONSFIELD INN REFRESHMENT BAR in 1883
Also found as the EARL of BEACONSFIELD
When sold December 1908 it was named as formerly the EARL of DERBY
Referred for Compensation — 10.02.1908
Licence extinct — 21.01.1909
CLARK CALLOW (Callow Clark?) — 1791
JOHN BLACKBURNE — 1822
WILLIAM ROBERT CAWSTON — 1830
JOHN DURRANT — 1836-1839
ROBERT MUNSON (age 48 in 1851) — 1845-1858
ROBERT HENSBY (& ironmonger Age 38) — 1859-1861
PHILIP SMITH — 1864
JAMES EGLINGTON — 1865
JOHN LEGGATT — 1868
THOMAS GRIMES (Bull) — 1869
THOMAS UNDERWOOD BULLOCK (Earl of Derby) Greenwich pensioner & publican by — 1871
THOMAS SWAIN (Beaconsfield Restaurant) — 23.06.1879
ROBERT STANTON — 07.02.1881
ROBERT LOOMBE CARPENTER — 27.06.1881
WILLIAM GREEN — 07.01.1884
THOMAS WILLIAM DONGER — 18.05.1885
WILLIAM JAMES HUMPHREY — 13.02.1888
HENRY HAGGAR WRIGHT — 14.05.1888
JOHN SADLER — 06.01.1890
WILLIAM ASHER — 12.10.1891
JOHN ARCHER COLLISON — 08.02.1892
THOMAS MATTHEWS — 23.08.1897
JOHN KING — 03.01.1898
ROBERT HENRY WATKINS — 02.01.1899
WILLIAM THOMAS FOX — 15.05.1899 to closure
At the Licensing Sessions held September 1849 it was heard that no less than 147 public houses had been re-licensed for the sale of spirits, etc. Three new applications had been refused on the grounds that there was a maximum population of 18,000 in the borough and it equated to approximately one public house to every thirty five males over the age of 21. “This must surely be enough to satisfy public demand.”
In 1892 the Temperance Movement, in the form of the Kings Lynn Vigilance Committee reported that there was one licensed house for every 100 inhabitants of Kings Lynn, be they man, woman or child. Furthermore, they claimed that one house in every 22 was licensed.
In 1903 the magistrates reported that there was a licensed house for every 113 persons as recorded in the 1901 census (20,288 souls). This included the facility of 12 `Off Licenses’.
In February 1910 it was confirmed that there were 134 full licences, 7 beer-houses and 14 off-licences. An average of one house per 131 persons. Since 1904 proceedings had been taken year by year to reduce the number of licensed houses and to that effect 28 licences had been eliminated by compensation (presumably this would have included The Earl of Beaconsfield, 68 High St). 7 of those licences were to cease upon payment of the agreed compensation. One further licence had been lost on conviction and two further licences had been voluntarily surrendered, giving a total of 31.
In February 1912 there were 126 houses with full licences, 7 beerhouses, 14 off-licences making a total of 147, an average of one licence for every 137 persons on the 1911 census.
You can read more about the history of 68 High Street HERE